The Doctor’s Wife
The Doctor’s Wife – a psychological thriller that sees a longstanding, supposedly tight friendship between two couples destroyed by illness and an unexplained, violent death.
Published in NZ by Bateman Books
To be published in the UK in February 2024 by Legend Press
To be published in the Sweden by Landa Forlag
Also in audio Ulverscroft UK
- SHORTLISTED FOR THE NGAIO MARSH AWARD FOR BEST NOVEL “…Truly inspired, with terrific characterisation…”
- SHORTLISTED FOR THE NZ BOOKLOVERS AWARD FOR BEST ADULT FICTION “…this story appeals on many levels. Great characters, an exploration of human frailty, friendships and loyalty, and the suburban setting make it feel like it could very well be happening in your backyard…” JUDGES NZ BOOKLOVERS: NZ BOOKLOVERS AWARD
- “taut and expert thriller” Steve Braunias, 20 Jan 2023 Best Selling Books of Summer: THE READING ROOM
- “ONE OF BEST 100 BOOKS OF 2022” NZ Listener Nov 26 2022.
- “A compelling and deliciously unsettling read” Review by Paul Little, North and South. Full review in North and South, December 2022
- “It’s a fine thriller that hooks the readers in early and never lets up. But it’s the human element of Sussman’s writing that will linger long in the memory after the intricacies of of the tightly planned plot have faded.” Review by Greg Fleming, THE LISTENER. Full review in The Listener Oct 15, 2022
- “Sussman outlines a comprehensive social environment, with drama cutting through the everyday. Where trust was once a given, friendships start to fray”. Full review by Jessie Neilson KETE BOOKS
- “The reader is left with a lovely bit of hope, and the knowledge that Fiona Sussman is a great #YeahNoir author, and a great observer of human nature. “. Full review by Alyson Baker ALYSON’S BLOG
- “An incredible, gripping read – all the way to the last page. World class writing. Absolutely loved it.” Tweet by Paula Browning, former Copyright Licensing NZ Chief Executive and current chair at We Create.
- “The writing is wonderful, the medical aspects fascinating, and the characters (and their flaws) brilliantly rendered. A great book club read – there’s a lot to talk about!” Olivia Spooner, BOOKLOVER BOOKSHOP. Full review in BOOKLOVER OCTOBER NEWSLETTER
- “The plot, clever and well-paced, never overwhelms the characters. That’s a strength of Sussman’s work: she gifts us fully human, complicated, fleshed-out people.” See full review PATRICIA BELL
- “Multiple twists and turns in the plot make this book a masterful thriller. You want to know the truth,but you dont want it to end.” Full review by Helen Templeton STYLE MAGAZINE
- LISTEN to an interview with Andrew Whiteside: interview
- LISTEN to an interview with Kathryn Ryan on Nine to Noon, RNZ: interview
- LISTEN to an interview with Ruth Todd on Bookenz Plains FM: interview
- READ HERE interview with NZBOOKLOVERS: Interview