The Last Time We Spoke
Ngaio Marsh Award Winner
One mild summer evening in rural New Zealand the lives of two individuals brutally collide. Neither will ever be the same again, their futures forever linked.
This is a dark tale that navigates the underbelly of urban New Zealand. It is also a very human story of hope and possibility.
- WINNER 2017 NGAIO MARSH AWARD for BEST CRIME NOVEL NZ Kiwi Blog Spot“Lyrically and sensitively written, a harrowing yet touching story that stays with you. This is brave and sophisticated storytelling.”
- WINNER 2014 KOBO/NZ AUTHOR PUBLISHING PRIZE (when still a mansucript).
- SHORTLISTED 2016 NZ HERITAGE BOOKS AND WRITING AWARD.
- BEST BOOKS 2016 : Otago Daily Times
- The Sunday Mirror : ‘A gripping story of grief and redemption.’
- The Otago Daily Times : ‘A hard-hitting,emotion-packed novel featuring injustice and racial prejudice.’
- Yrsa Sigurdardottir, award-winning Icelandic crime writer : ‘This novel is laden with empathy and insight … The result is harrowing, yet touching due to the writer’s approach and praiseworthy writing style …’
- Paddy Richardson, award-winning New Zealand author : ‘Lyrically and sensitively written … The complexity of this novel – the struggles experienced by the characters and the themes of conflict and redemption have stayed with me.’
- Review at: KiwiFlora Reads
- Review at: The Bookbag UK
- Review by: Annah Stretton
- Review at: FlaxFlower
- Review at: Takahe
- Review at: The Miner
- Interview: The Listener
- Interview: The Herald
- Fiona discusses The Last Time We Spoke in: The Irish Times
- Fiona discusses The Last Time We Spoke at: Female First
Published by Allison & Busby (London) May 2016, and Wydawnictwo Kobiece (Poland) 2018. Distributed in NZ by Allen & Unwin.